What equipment would I need to be able to do online counselling?
You will need a fully charged or plugged in computer, or another device (ipad, tablet or smart phone) with Internet access for online counselling. It is helpful to have NBN, or a fairly fast connection . You will also need to be in a private space when in a session with the counsellor. Your device will need a camera, or a webcam.
How you need to prepare for your session?
The on-line space is different to face to face counselling in that you are not meeting at the counsellor’s office or rooms. You will need to have a few things prepared before you have your counselling session:
- Have filled in the intake questionnaire and the counselling contract (this will be emailed to you once you have made contact via phone or email)
- Have returned the forms via email to the counsellor
- Have paid the agreed counselling fee by direct debit
- Have access to a device (phone, tablet, computer) which has good internet connectivity and reliability. If using WIFI make sure it is secure. Using mobile data such as 3,4 or 5G is not always secure on your phone.
- Your device must be plugged in or fully charged
- The device you use must have a camera, or a webcam
- Have tested your audio before the session so you know your mic is working
- Clean the camera lens so it is clear
- Have your ear phones or ear buds ready to use so others cannot overhear what the counsellor is saying to you. This also creates a much clearer and consistent audio for your counsellor.
- Have a private space which is well lit and where you can guarantee that you will not be disturbed. This cannot be in a public area, such as a café or park, (wind noise can interfere with clear audio if you are outside)
- Have created a full hour for the session, so make sure you have put that time aside.
- Have asked a family member or a friend to be available if you need further support at any time (you will have nominated 2 support persons on your questionnaire form)